14 DAYS OF PRAYER & FASTING (JANUARY 8 - JANUARY 22)
If you sense that God has more for your life, 14 Days of Prayer is a great place to start believing Him for all that He has for you. At the prayer services, you will put seeking God first into practice, and when you do this, He will start working on your behalf like never before. You will see a difference in your relationships, your work, your family and every area of your life. It is then that you will best be able to spread His love to others.
We would love for you to join us on Wednesdays (Jan. 11, & Jan. 18) at 7:00 pm and Saturdays at 9:00 am as we gather to pray for the needs of our city, nation, families, and homes. You can also join us right from your own home by watching the service online.
How do we make prayer a part of our everyday life? We can learn from three things that Jesus did…Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed (Mark 1:35).
- A CERTAIN TIME - Jesus got up very early in the morning to spend time with His Heavenly Father. In order for prayer to work, we should do the same. Make a daily appointment with God and keep it.
- A CERTAIN PLACE - Jesus had a prayer place. Your prayer place needs to be an undistracted environment where you can pray out loud and perhaps have some worship music playing in the background.
- A CERTAIN PLAN - Go into your prayer time with a plan. If it changes that’s fine. When Jesus taught His disciples how to pray, He gave His disciples a prayer outline. We call it the Lord's Prayer.
DOWNLOAD LORDS PRAYER OUTLINE HERE. CLICK HERE
21 DAY PRAYER FOCUS
- Day 1 - Our Church (Pastors, church staff, small group leaders, dream teamers, overseers, trustees, elders)
- Day 2 - Our Leaders (Nation, State, and City) (1 Tim. 2:1-2)
- Day 3 - 21 Day Prayer Service 7PM
- Day 4 - Our County
- Day 5 - Our Nation
- Day 6 - Our World
- Day 7 - Sunday Morning Experience
- Day 8 - Our specific needs (finances, health, family members to be saved and other personal needs.)
- Day 9 - The Lost (services, lifesavers, family members)
- Day 10 - 21 Day Prayer Service (7PM)
- Day 11 - Plugged In & Dream Team
- Day 12 - Children’s Ministry (KidsPoint)
- Day 13 - Student Ministry (Oneighty)
- Day 14 - Sunday Morning Experience
- Day 15 - Small Groups (leaders, members, real life change)
- Day 16 - Families and Marriages
- Day 17 - 21 Day Prayer Service 7PM
- Day 18 - My Personal Vision (freedom from habits, debt, relationships, ministry, reaching my full potential)
- Day 19 - Personal freedom and deliverance (breakthrough in every area!)
- Day 20 - Night of Worship 6PM
- Day 21 - Sunday Morning Experience
DOWNLOAD YOUR PERSONAL PRAYER JOURNAL HERE. CLICK HERE
The goal of fasting is to draw nearer to God. Biblical fasting always has to do with eliminating distractions for a spiritual purpose; it hits the reset button of our soul and renews us from the inside out! It also enables us to celebrate the goodness and mercy of God and prepares our hearts for all of the good things God desires to bring into our lives. Remember, your personal fast should present a level of challenge, but it is very important to know your own body, your options, and, most importantly, to seek God in prayer and follow what the Holy Spirit leads you to do.
At SouthPoint, we encourage fasting corporately for 21 days each year in the month of January (Jan. 2 - Jan. 22). This is part of a season of high-intensity prayer as a church family. You may also opt to fast at other times during the year for your own spiritual development. It's very typical to fast a single meal, a whole day, or three days or more. The timing of your fast is not as important as the strength of your focus on Him as you fast.
Matthew 6:16-17 (NIV)
“When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
WHAT FASTING IS?
- Fasting is the voluntary abstinence from food for spiritual purposes.
There are different types of fasts
- Esther Fast - No food or water for 3 days
- Full Fast - Only liquids/water
- Partial Fast - Certain foods, or certain meals
- Other Fast - electronics, TV, etc.
- Sun Up to Sun Down Fast - Water only
- Daniel Fast - no meat, no alcohol, no sweets or bread
Daniel 10:3 (NIV)
I ate no choice food; no meat or wine touched my lips; and I used no lotions at all until the three weeks were over.
Daniel 1:12 (NIV)
"Please test your servants for ten days: Give us nothing but vegetables to eat and water to drink.
WHAT FASTING DOES
1. Fasting Disciplines our Passions
- Fasting is voluntarily turning up the heat in our lives
1 Timothy 4:7-8 (NIV)
Spend your time and energy in training yourself for spiritual fitness. Physical exercise has some value, but spiritual exercise is much more important, for it promises a reward in both this life and the next.
2. Fasting Molds our Prayers
Isaiah 58:3 (NIV)
“’Why have we fasted,’ and you have not seen it? Why have we humbled ourselves, and you have not noticed?
HOW TO FAST
- Determine the type of fast
- Determine the purpose of the fast.
- Determine the additives of the fast.
- Determine the length of the fast.
- Determine the Plan and pray for the fast.